Requirements for Leader Trainer Accreditation
Entry into the Leader Trainer Pathway – (training as supervisors/ leader trainers)
The BSANZ has a limited capacity to train supervisors and Leader Trainers. From time to time, accredited Balint group leaders may be invited to join the Leader Trainer Accreditation Pathway by the BSANZ Accreditation Committee. The Accreditation Committee will make recommendations to the Board.
2. Balint leadership experience
To be considered for Leader Trainer Accreditation the following experience is required:
a). General leadership experience
i)A minimum of two years of Balint group experience after BSANZ Balint group leadership accreditation.
ii) A minimum of 20 hours of Balint group leadership, which includes leadership of at least one ongoing group.
iii) Leadership of Balint groups in a variety of settings
iv) Leadership of Balint groups with a variety of co-leaders
b). BSANZ Annual Residential Workshop leadership experience
Balint group leadership as a co-leader with an accredited Leader Trainer at two Annual Residential Workshops. One of these workshops may involve co-leading with an accredited Balint group leader under supervision from an accredited Leader Trainer.
Candidates are expected to receive supervision with accredited Leader Trainers during their time on the Leader Trainer Accreditation Pathway.
Requirements for Supervision:
- It is expected that there will be supervision of Balint group leadership and of supervisory activities.
- Candidates may supervise those enrolled in the BSANZ Leadership Accreditation Pathway.
- The candidate’s supervisor/s is asked to submit reports of the candidate twice a year to the Accreditation Committee.
The candidate and the supervisor are expected to discuss the reports together before they are submitted to the Accreditation Committee.
4. Supervisors and Trainees are asked to adhere to the supervision arrangements and standards described
in the following documents:
*Supervision agreement between the Supervisor and the Accreditation Committee, on behalf of the
BSANZ Board (Document A)
* Supervision agreement between the Supervisor and the Supervisee (Document B).
* Template for Supervision Reports to the BSANZ Accreditation Committee (Document C ).
* Template for Learning and Supervision Plan for Accreditation (Document D).
Supervision is not accepted for accreditation purposes unless these documents have been completed for each supervisory arrangement and submitted to the Accreditation Committee prior to the commencement of the supervision sessions.
Documents A,B, C and D are linked to the page https://balintaustralianewzealand.org/accredited-leadership/
- It is expected that the Supervisee will have a minimum of 10 supervision sessions per year, and that 8 of these will be Individual supervision with one supervisor.
The remainder may be joint co–leader sessions with a supervisor.
3. Documentation of training
The candidate for Leader Trainer Accreditation must submit a portfolio to the Chair of the BSANZ Accreditation Committee.
The portfolio will incorporate the following:
- An outline of the canditate’s experiences of aspects of the training
- May contain any documentation candidates wishes to include to support their case
- A reflective piece of writing about the experience during Balint group leadership and Leader Trainer training and the associated supervision process.
4. Granting of Leader Trainer accreditation
The Accreditation Committee on receipt of the reports and portfolio makes the decision on the candidate’s readiness for recommendation for Leader Trainer accreditation.
The Accreditation Committee recommends the candidate to the BSANZ board for Leader Trainer Accreditation.
Endorsed by the BSANZ board on 3rd November 2020