Leadership Accreditation Pathway
Leadership Accreditation Pathway
- Eight to ten Individual supervision sessions for two years of the leadership training.
- Two of the ten (10) supervision sessions in any one year can be either co-leader supervision sessions, or group supervision sessions where the trainee has presented their own group at a group supervision meeting.
- There should be no less than an aggregate of ten (10) supervision sessions in each 12-month period.
- Supervision is arranged with BSANZ accredited Leader Trainers
- With a Leader Trainer in training, subject to prior approval by the Accreditation Committee
- Supervisors undertake to provide annual reports on the supervision to the Accreditation Committee and to the trainee.
- The trainee is required to have supervision from a minimum of two supervisors over the time of the course.
- Supervisors and trainees are required to adhere to the supervision arrangements and standards of the following documents.
Agreement between Supervisors and the Accreditation Committee
Agreement between Supervisors and Supervisees
Template for Supervision Reports
In 2021 the BSANZ introduced the option of Group Supervision for its first year of training in Balint leadership.
Feedback from the first group of trainees who have engaged in this option is positive, and Group Supervision will continue to be an option in the first year on the Leadership Accreditation Pathway.
The Board has approved two group supervision sessions for accreditation in any one year where the trainee has presented their own group at a group supervision meeting. (See Supervision Requirements).
Individual supervision is required with two different supervisors for at least one year each.
The trainee is required to inform the Accreditation Committee of a change in supervisor and the name of each supervisor. The change requires the approval of the Accreditation Committee. The committee may advise the candidate of a suitable supervisor.
Learning and Supervision Plans
- Learning and Supervision Plans are to be written in consultation between the trainee and each supervisor and submitted to the Accreditation Committee for approval.
Learning and Supervision Plan
Requirements for Observations
- Trainees are to be observed in their Balint group leadership of a case by a BSANZ accredited Leader Trainer (the ‘Observer)’) during two separate
Balint group meetings
- It is desirable that one observation should be at a BSANZ Workshop or other approved Balint workshop.
- Another observation can be at a regular Balint group meeting when the trainee is leading or co-leading a case.
- The observations can be done in person or online.
- Observations are approved by and observers are appointed by the Accreditation Committee.
- The observers will provide written reports on their observations to the Accreditation Committee, the trainee, and their supervisor. The reports will contain information on observed trainee leadership.
Guidelines for Observations
Template for Observation Reports
Roles of the Accreditation Committee
The Accreditation Committee has the following roles:
- Recommends applicants to the board for approval to begin training.
- Approves each of the applicant’s Learning and Supervision Plans.
- Assists with the selection, and sign-off on choice, of each supervisor.
- Receive the annual supervisor reports and each observer report.
- Appoints observers and approves observations.
- Assists the supervision process as outlined in the supervision agreement.
- Monitors progress through training.
- Requests and reviews a piece of reflective writing from the trainee towards the end of their training.
- Is available to the trainee to address training issues.
Completion of Training
The Accreditation Committee requires the following:
- The submission by the trainee of a piece of reflective writing, in which they reflect on their learning experiences and suitability for Leadership Accreditation as follows:
Reflect upon your learning during Balint leadership training and how it will influence your leadership work (approximately 2,000 words).
- A record of the Balint experiences while on the Leadership Pathway, including the number of Balint groups attended as a member and as a leader, the number of cases led during training, the Balint workshops and other Balint activities attended.
- A final report from their current supervisor concerning the suitability of the trainee for Leadership Accreditation. This report must be discussed between the supervisor and trainee prior to submission to the Accreditation Committee.
- On completion of the Requirements of the Pathway, the Accreditation Committee recommends to the BSANZ Board that the trainee be accredited as a BSANZ Leader.
- Fees involved in supervision, observation and support of the applicant are a matter for negotiation between the relevant parties. The BSANZ does not determine the fee structure.
- Entry into the Pathway for Balint Leadership Accreditation requires:
- Membership of the BSANZ
- Entry fee – AUD$300 for Australian entrants, NZD$315 for New Zealand entrants.
- Annual training fee: AUS$200 NZD$215